Thursday, September 15, 2016

Seems Like Old Times



As I wrote last week, the Arkansas–TCU game brought back memories of the days when Arkansas routinely hammered TCU, and I said I was tempted to pick Arkansas to win for old times' sake.

As it turned out, I should have picked Arkansas. The Razorbacks won in double overtime.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who picked TCU to win. But few were as happy to be wrong as I was. Now the Razorbacks should be undefeated when they face Texas A&M next week.

They're back in the Top 25 — and Razorback fans are in Hog Heaven.

Thursday
  • #6 Houston at Cincinnati, 6:30 p.m. (Central) on ESPN: The Cougars lead the all–time series, but Cincinnati has had the upper hand at home.

    Even so, I will take Houston.
Friday
  • #21 Baylor at Rice, 7 p.m. (Central) on ESPN: This is the 81st meeting between these schools, and Baylor has won more than 61% of the time. The Bears hold the edge in games played at Rice, but the Bears have not been nearly as dominant there as they have been in Waco.

    Still, I will pick Baylor. The Bears' more challenging contests are yet to come.
Saturday
  • #1 Alabama at #19 Ole Miss, 2:30 p.m. (Central) on CBS: A rematch of last year's Ole Miss triumph at Alabama. This time the Rebels are the home team.

    Ole Miss won the last time it hosted the Tide so Ole Miss is on a two–game winning streak. Historically, however, 'Bama wins more than 83% of the time.

    My guess is that Alabama will win this time.
  • #2 Florida State at #10 Louisville, 11 a.m. (Central) on ABC: Florida State won its first 11 encounters with Louisville, then lost in 2002. The teams met again in 2014 and 2015 with Florida State starting a new winning streak.

    I expect the Seminoles to extend that streak. I pick Florida State.
  • #3 Ohio State at #14 Oklahoma, 6:30 p.m. (Central) on FOX: These teams have met twice before, and the visiting team won both times.

    This has to be college football's heavyweight clash of the week.

    And this time I will take the home team to win. In what is probably an upset special, based on the rankings, the pick is Oklahoma.
  • Colorado at #4 Michigan, 2:30 p.m. (Central) on Big Ten Network: These teams have met four times, but the last meeting was nearly 20 years ago.

    Michigan won three of those four previous contests and should have no trouble winning this. I will go with Michigan.
  • South Carolina State at #5 Clemson, 11 a.m. (Central) on ACC Network: I know Clemson has struggled a bit lately, but i figure the Tigers should win this one easily.

    The pick is Clemson.
  • Southern Cal at #7 Stanford, 7 pm. (Central) on ABC: This is an important early season Pac–12 match, and it is one that Southern Cal usually wins.

    Historically.

    Not so much lately, though. Stanford has won three–fourths of the time since Barack Obama has been president.

    The Trojans have yet to prove themselves so I will pick Stanford.
  • Portland State at #8 Washington, 7 p.m. (Central) on Pac–12 Network: This really shouldn't be much of a contest.

    I choose Washington.
  • Georgia State at #9 Wisconsin, 11 a.m. (Central) on Big Ten Network: The first meeting between these schools should not be close.

    Wisconsin will win.
  • #11 Texas at California, 9:30 p.m. (Central) on ESPN: Texas won its first five meetings with Cal, then lost when they played in Austin last year.

    That was then. The Longhorns have more swagger this year. I choose Texas.
  • #12 Michigan State at #18 Notre Dame, 6:30 p.m. (Central) on NBC: Michigan State hasn't won at Notre Dame since 2007.

    All streaks must end, and I think that one will end this weekend. Michigan State will prevail.
  • North Dakota State at #13 Iowa, 11 a.m. (Central) on ESPN2: This is the first–ever meeting between these two schools.

    Iowa should have no trouble.
  • Ohio at #15 Tennessee, 11 a.m. (Central) on SEC Network: In the schools' only previous meeting, Tennessee won by 11 in 2009.

    Tennessee didn't look too good against Appalachian State a couple of weeks ago. So I'm going to make Ohio an upset special.
  • #16 Georgia at Missouri, 6:30 p.m. (Central) on SEC Network: Georgia has won four of the five all–time meetings and is undefeated at Missouri.

    That is one streak that should not end this week. I pick Georgia to win.
  • #17 Texas A&M at Auburn, 6 p.m. (Central) on ESPN: The history of this series has been that the home team loses.

    I'll go with that trend and pick Texas A&M.
  • Mississippi State at #20 LSU, 6 p.m. (Central) on ESPN2: LSU has beaten Mississippi State about two–thirds of the time, but the Bulldogs won the last time they played in Baton Rouge.

    It was the first time in a quarter of a century that Mississippi State won at LSU. MSU fans should savor that. It may not happen for another quarter of a century.

    The pick is LSU.
  • #22 Oregon at Nebraska, 2:30 p.m. (Central) on ABC: Nebraska has won five of the six previous meetings with Oregon, but the schools haven't met in 30 years.

    Times have changed. I have to go with Oregon.
  • North Texas at #23 Florida, 6:30 p.m. (Central) on ESPNU: I got my master's degree at North Texas, and I would love to see the Mean Green win this one.

    Not gonna happen. I have to pick Florida.
  • Texas State at #24 Arkansas, 6:30 p.m. (Central) on SEC Network: I think this is the first meeting ever between Arkansas and Texas State.

    After last week's win, there could be a letdown, but I don't think there will be. I pick Arkansas.
  • #25 Miami (Fla.) at Appalachian State, 11 a.m. (Central) on ESPN2: Now we will find out if Appalachian State's near–win at Tennessee was a fluke or not.

    For whatever reason, Appalachian State is the home team in this one. I don't think that will matter, though. I pick Miami to win.
Last week: 19–4

Overall: 36–8

Last week's upset specials: 0–2

Overall upset specials: 1–3

No comments: